Saturday, May 28, 2011

Movie Review and a cheat Day!


So yesterday was yet another beautiful but warm day after nearly a week of overcast, wet but not endearingly so days. Seeing as we had to cancel game night yet again this week Dom and I decided to have a couple people down and and go to the movies.
We wanted to see the new Pirates movie and so off we went. The most convenient showing was a 3d showing. I was a little leery of seeing it in 3d because it just didn't seem like a 3d movie.

Click below to continue reading about the movie and my cheat day.

The 3d was so damn well done. It was immersive without beating you over the head with it. Just such a fantastic job of drawing you into the movie. Not quite a spoiler but there is no Orlando Bloom or Kiera Nightly in this one... and that's what makes it awesome. The series finally fell back to focusing on Captain Jack Sparrow and surrounding him with a stellar cast that helps tell a story. They aren't just trying to throw you some comfortable characters and make them fit into a plot.

Yesterday was also my first cheat day in 2 weeks. Last week I just didn't feel like it but yesterday I ended up making a decent go of it. I had off from work so I ended up getting up when Dom's alarms went off. Dad was coming by at 9:30 to pick up the huge freezer from my basement that he was interested in as well as his tiling tools and hand truck that he had left here from helping me out with assorted projects.
I took herbie out to the back yard and started breaking down some boxes that I had laying around and was going to whip up a quick breakfast. Naturally I spent more time playing with Herbie than actually working so dad showed up just as I finished with the cardboard. We chatted for a while about my furnace and water heater and all the fun things that need to be changed and updated, especially if I want to add central air.
Eventually we packed up the trailer with the freezer and dad headed back for home. I had to head to Carolyn's to put the bulb back into her DLP tv. So I went inside, grabbed the bulb and went over and installed it. I chatted with Andre (her son) for a while and ended up leaving Herbie to play with Aiko (her lovely dog) and then proceeded down to my parents house to transfer my Dad from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 7 Home Premium.
I stopped at Tractor Supply to pick up some different mix of the Taste of the Wild food for Herbie and I also got her a new rope toy and outdoor bowl.
I was just about to check out when I saw my friend Bridget Sullivan from highschool who I hadn't seen in quite some time. We chatted for a while and caught up on what she's been doing. She has her own photography business going on and is hoping things get going now that wedding season is upon us. If I'm remembering correctly she also has a very sweet gig in Scotland at the Maureen O'Hara classic film festival.
Fixing Dad's computer went well. It was nice and straight forward. I ended up picking up some mail that had come for me and that was about it.
I headed out home and stopped at walmart along the way because I had run out of prunes. I looove prunes. So while at walmart I picked up a calcium & Vitamin D supplement, prunes, one small pouch of dried apricots, and that was it. I ended up eating the whole pouch of apricots on the way back to Carolyn's to pick up Herbie. That was a heck of a dose of sugar for me, usually I avoid fruit (and all sugar) so it was pretty noticeable. I stopped back and picked up Herbie and made it home just after Dom arrived.
Carolyn is wonderful and gives us farm fresh eggs often and this time a special treat of some farmers market Tomatoes so there will be some good eating there. I tossed all of that in the fridge and ordered Pizza for everyone to throw down before we left for the movie. Before the pizza arrived I polished off a pint of Chocolate Peanut Butter HaagenDazs. Then I had probably about 6 slices of pizza, then when we got to the movie I had a water and a small popcorn which was perfect.

It was a great close to a week of passing out at 10:00 and being exhausted.  Expect a very cute Herbie picture tomorrow, I promise not to clutter it up with words :)

4 comments:

  1. Agreed. The 3D was well done. Glad it didn't suck like Pirates3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know what movie you speak of :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, sugar sends me around the bend. I get moody, irritable and I can´t sleep or concentrate.

    I am missing home grown tomatoes, not that we had a great growing season Down Under...and I don´t want to even THINK about pizza. All of that doughy goodness baked to perfection and mozzarella cheese and...oh THE TORTURE of it all.

    Only goodness knows how many days until the end of my month of little changes (ends on 28th of June). I have to say, though, I am enjoying not feeling bloated from eating bread, not feeling tipsy from too much alcohol and not eating mindlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's terrible that sugar does that to you. It is good that you know that sugar is the cause because it would be terrible if it just kept happening and you never knew why.
    I'm only just becoming a fan of tomatoes. I never used to like them at all but I'm slowly starting to like them more and more. I had some pico de gallo the other night and absolutely loved it.

    Bread is super hard to give up sometimes. I still drool over the thought of a good crusty sourdough loaf. Heh, that's why I keep the cheat days around though. I do end up feeling slow and bloaty afterwards so I know I can't do it all the time but it's just so wonderful on occasion.

    ReplyDelete