Thursday, August 4, 2011

How I Met The Dom

So, as you may know Dom is my best friend from college. We met our freshmen year about 7 years ago.

Starting college I was a very very much different person than I am now. I wasn't quite all put together and had a stress induced facial tick. I was starting college and had a Freshman Seminar class called "Romantic Visions." This particular lecture was about "Big R Romanticism" which is about flowers trees and the sort of beauty and wonder of nature.

The class seating arrangement was a circle so from the get-go you knew that it would be pretty big on discussions and sharing. I was a huge fan of those sorts of classes because I could kind of BS my way through anything.

I was one of two commuters in the class. The other commuter ended up dropping the class so it was just me. The very very first day of class I was pretty nervous. My facial tick was out in force because of it and I was concentrating like hell on trying to stop it. I was failing but I did my best. Now across the room there was a cute girl and she was making highly intentional faces at me. So naturally this turned into a huge huge back and forth of one-ups-manship. Eventually the whole thing ended with Dom reaching behind her head, and making a "piggy nose" and Professor Venturo noticed which caused a sheepish grin on her part.

At this point I needed to hatch a plan to solidify the whole "remember me" thing so that even after class she'd have a reason to keep me in her mind. I used to be quite the evil genius when it came to flirting. So I tare out a piece of paper from my notebook and draw a woefully abysmal stick figure making a grotesque face. I then added the words "I win" at the bottom. I fold it up quickly and hatch the rest of my plan.

The class had been watching us the whole time and most of them were wondering how we had met and how long we had known each other. Dom naturally handled that with "We haven't been formally introduced."

I then introduce myself and press that square of paper into her hand and slipped away. I kind of figured that she'd be far too sheepish to open it up right then. I was right and I knew she'd open it up later. She did :) and we're still friends to this day.

Today we had dinner at the Indian place we had in Princeton called Tandoori Bite which we found and is really quite good. Lo and behold seated about 10 feet to our left was Professor Venturo. So before we left we went over and said hi.

He remembered us.
Me:"Hi we just had to stop over and say hello, we met in your Romantic Visions class 7 years ago."
Prof V:"Oh yes... Bryce right? And Dominique, you two were making faces at each other and I....:
Dom: "Was kind enough not to kick us out of class? Yes that's us!"

1 comment:

  1. Those were the good old days. I think I'll dig through those entries on the old blog.

    ReplyDelete