Sunday, July 24, 2011

Some bad bad dieting and p90x explained

So I've been a bad bad Primal Blueprint follower.

Things I've been doing wrong:

1. Lots and lots of ice cream.
No really when I say lots of ice cream I mean I've been managing to kill about 3-4.5 quarts of ice cream a week. This is horrible. I can only imagine how out of round my insulin levels and blood sugar has been. I'm sure that I've been throwing myself in and out of ketosis but on the bright side I've been able to keep up with the workouts.

2. Falling into generally worse eating habits.
I've been sneaking more carb heavy foods recently. Today was some absolutely fantastic bssmati rice with some Chicken Tikka Masala. And my cheat days have started working up their ways from the single meals that I was down to and back up to one heck of a day. And especially considering that I've been cheating during the week with the ice cream....

3.Eating less Veggies
I've either been pretty tired at the end of a work day, especially if I did P90x in the morning, or I end up doing p90x when I get home from work. So I'm way way short on frozen veggies and I haven't made kale (super nutrient rich) in far too long. I really need to suck it up and eat more veggies, and a bigger variety like I did back when this was all new and I was trying new recipes every week and Dom was cooking up super yummy treats every now and again.

So what is P90x
A 90 day work out plan that involves very very intense hour-ish long work out videos that push you to your physical max. There are lots of different exercises, some basic, some not so basic that involve not just weights and reps, but body weight and ensuring that you work your muscles with a weight that challenges them to an appropriate level of reps (8-10) and when not using weight that you push yourself to exhaustion.

P90x is a series of workout videos that are intense.... very intense, on a level of intensity that if you're not at the very least in decent shape will leave you gasping and panting, and most likely be unable to keep up with the whole workout. I've been going at it with having to make some seriously heavy modifications in some places. I work myself so hard during the chest and back exercises that I end up needing to do push-ups on my knees for some parts, and even then I can barely manage to do those stupid diamond push-ups.

Ideally after I finish up these 3 months I won't need to do this again. A quick google of "p90x before and after" give a great smattering of the sort of changes one can achieve when working themselves like that. After I reach that level I'd like to be able to ease into a Primal Blueprint fitness approved exercise plan and maintain the majority of my gains. We'll have to see how it goes.

4 comments:

  1. Oh carbs, the bane of my existence. Overworked, rotating shifts often in the one week and just feeling tired from lack of quality sleep leaves me vulnerable to the humble sandwich. How can ham and salad-y things taste sooo good when slapped between two pieces of bread?

    I just need to cut out the processed grains in my intake and get my tush into gear again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yet you still look amazing :)

    Also- I'd be happy to cook more. YOU JUST HAVE TO GO TO THE STORE WITH ME!

    (ps- my WV was 'codepal' lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really thinking about doing px90. The good gym is abysmally far away (16 miles round trip, almost 2 gallons of gas) and I definitely feel like I could be doing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a really intense workout series and leaves you kind of drained but it sure is great for quick results!

    ReplyDelete